But, this year I felt like every time I got her excited about it we'd see something that made her turn and give me that "see, that's gross or there's another scary mask, why am I supposed to like this holiday?" look. For some reason, more so than other year's, it seemed like everywhere I turned there was some "dead type thing" staring at me. .... the large headless man with blood dripping out of his neck at the craft store, or the countless vampires, mummies and body parts strewn through out the stores, or the skeleton holding a large hatchet in one hand and the head of another skeleton in the other. I guess if you really think about it...why would I ever want her saying ..."that is so cool, I love it". But, I don't think we're really meant to think that deep into Halloween. You're just supposed to get what you can out of it and think of it as the fun fall, dress up holiday where you get candy.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the gory stuff shouldn't be around and we shouldn't get the enjoyment out of it (that would be pretty hypocritical considering I love an excellent get your adrenaline pumping scary movie or a good screamfest at a Haunted House) but, I'm pretty okay with Gracie not liking masks and Halloween. I'm proud of her for trying to enjoy it, as her fear is real, and hope each year she gets better with it and realizes more and more that it's just silly fake stuff that some people really enjoy.
Here are some fun fall pictures.....
After much coaxing, we got her out to Trick or Treat. I'm so glad we did. As you can see she loved it once she was out there!
Grace and her auntie Rach.
Well, for someone that is not a fan of this time of year, from the pictures, it sure looks like she enjoyed it! I'm glad you guys keep trying to point out the good stuff and keep her involved. This may just not be a holiday she gets into (like Valentine's Day for me). :)
ReplyDelete