Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Homestudy Meeting

We had our final combined interview for our Homestudy with our SW today. We started out the meeting with some questions we had.
Most specifically, we asked her what she thought about the number of EPs (travel documents) that are issued each year and how this will effect future waiting families. EPs or Emigration Permits are issued by the Korean Gov't and gives a child permission to leave the country. Once a family receives a referral they must complete a few other documents and wait for EP before bringing their child home. There are some LL families who received referrals in the first part of 2009 but, will not be able to bring their children home until after the new year. This is because the allotted number of EPs for this year have been given out. I asked her how she thought this "catch up" next year will effect other waiting families. She told me, although, this is unusual, she does think (of course, she can't be certain) that this will work itself out and not significantly increase wait times. I asked her if she thought this would push our time frame out; if it would be more realistic to expect to travel in 2011, rather than late 2010? She told us they are expecting more referrals this year and we shouldn't jump the gun and change our waiting expectations. She asked that we try and be patient and see how the "catch up" works out at the beginning of the year. I did like that answer, it made me feel a little more at ease ;-)....let the process just progress and work itself out.

After we got our questions answered, the meeting seemed to go really well. I think we are more comfortable with our SW and the whole process. The questions and answers seemed to flow easily. She asked about our marriage, our parenting style, our thoughts on birth parent searches, our feelings toward the birth mother, how we do/will discuss adoption in our home.

We also did a quick paperwork review and she thinks we have ALL of our paperwork complete and turned in. Yeah! Next, our SW will come to our home for the final step in the Homestudy process. At this time, she will talk with G and take a look at our home. We are looking forward to completing this final step.
G seems to be doing a great job of understanding adoption (as much as a 4 year old can). The hardest thing for her to understand is the WHEN. WHEN is my little brother coming home? Will it be when I'm in Kindergarten? How come you don't know? It's so interesting to watch a 4 year old try to conceptualize how he is going to get here and where he is coming from. She doesn't seem the least bit concerned with this. She just wants to have her baby brother here to play with, now! I do think she understands more than most people would expect.....and her excitement is just PRICELESS.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited things are moving for you guys! it's so cute how excited G is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to hear that LL is expecting more referrals this year still -- and is still hopeful that the EP issue won't cause major delays! Every referral gets me one step closer to my son. Thanks for sharing what you learned from your SW today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...one more step to go! I'm glad that she answered all of your questions. You are much braver in asking questions than I am. The home visit is easy. I'm interested to see how you feel when the home study is complete. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete